in 2017, the Faculty of Environmental Studies expanded its academic program to offer a Semester Abroad at Las Nubes in Southern Costa Rica. This unique Summer program is open to all York University undergraduate (3rd and 4th year) and graduate students, to take classes taught by York's faculty at our Las Nubes EcoCampus.
Our courses take a community-based approach, developing collaborative projects that provide learning opportunities. The emphasis of this program is on experiential education, building on our long-standing relationships with diverse communities and group in Southern Costa Rica, including women's organizations, agricultural cooperatives and producers, environmental protection and social justice groups, and indigenous communities, within others.
The Summer session is now closed. We will post information on the 2019 Semester Abroad Program, dates and times for our info sessions, and application deadlines and steps at the beginning of the 2018 Fall
Please note the following:
- All courses are open to upper-year undergraduates and graduates, including non-FES students. Grad students need to complete a form required by FGS (Request for a Graduate Student to Enroll in an Undergraduate Course).
- Course fees includes all in-country transportation, room and board, and park entrance fees that are part of course programs. Accommodations includes a mix of homestays and hotels. More information on course costs can be found here
- BES Areas of Concentration for each one of the courses are available here
- The courses offered are of interest to students from a wide range of disciplines including (and not limited to) environmental studies, international studies, health, education, biology, sociology, business, sociology, political science, psychology, design and engineering.
- Visa information: Refer to the Embassy of Costa Rica in Canada's website.
- Non-York Students must follow the Admission and Application Procedures for Visiting Students