In 2017, the Faculty of Environmental Studies (FES) at York University, expanded its summer program to offer students the opportunity of taking a Semester Abroad at Las Nubes. In 2018 and during the Reading Week (Feb 17-26), FES will offer an intensive “Ecohealth” course at York’s Las Nubes EcoCampus in Costa Rica.
Advanced Topics in Environment and Health | ENVS4800 3.00
Instructor: Martin Bunch
Dates: February 17-26, 2018
The ‘ecohealth approach’ or ‘ecosystem approach to health and well-being’ is an applied approach based on principles of systems thinking, transdisciplinarity, participation, gender and social equity, knowledge-to-action, and sustainability. In this course, participants will move from understanding environment and health relationships to apply these principles in the design of collaborative interventions that produce “co-benefits” – simultaneously improving human health/well-being and ecosystem health.
This is a useful course for students who are interested ecosystem/environmental management, international development practice, conservation, global health, environment and health, applied systems thinking, food sovereignty and security, participatory methods, social innovation, environmental problem solving, and more.
This Ecohealth course will focus on the case study of “linking heath, environment and community in the Alexander Skutch Biological Corridor”, with multiple field visits in the region. However, the projects that course participants will develop can be associated with any environment and health situation in any location.
The course fee is CAN$1,100. This fee includes all in-country transportation, room and board, and park entrance fees that are part of course programs. Students are responsible for paying their own flight fare and travel insurance, as well as any personal expenses. Course costs are not the same as tuition costs. Students must be registered in the 2018 Winter term in order to register for this course.
Read the syllabus
- January 17, 2018: Mandatory Orientation Session, 9:30-11:00 AM, Room HNES 140. At the meeting you are required to:
- Pay the remaining of the course fee ($1,000). Payments are accepted in cash, money order or certified bank cheques. No personal cheques will be accepted. No exceptions. You can also bring the payment before this date to Bev Rutherford's office, HNES 139F during business hours.
- Complete travel information form.
- Bring printed AND completed risk assessment forms to Joseph Cesario, HNES 133 before the meeting:
Please note the following:
- This course is open to upper-year undergraduates and graduates, including non-FES students and has no prerequisites.
- NOTE: If you came to an information session and have not received a follow up email by now is because the email you provided does not work, please re-register here
- BES Areas of Concentration for each one of the courses are available here
- LA&PS students have the possibility to apply for funding. Check the requirements for the International Study Abroad Award for LA&PS.
- Visa information: Refer to the Embassy of Costa Rica in Canada's website.
- Non-York Students must follow the Admission and Application Procedures for Visiting Students
- Read more about the 2017 Ecohealth summer course here